Saturday, February 21, 2009

#51 of 365

#183 MetallicThe copper-looking light fixture outside The Penny Farthing Olde English Pub...although I am not certain whether it is truly copper seeing how copper theft is an epidemic due to the skyrocketing prices for metals, but it definitely does have a metallic finish! Notice the Victorian-etched glass windows as well...this place is a cozy neighbourhood pub with four wood fireplaces and even has a special section for Ron to throw his darts!
ABOUT THE NAMESAKE, THE PENNY FARTHING

The Penny Farthing Pub takes its name from the innovative bicycle of the 1870's with an impossibly large front wheel coupled with a miniscule rear wheel. The immense height of the front wheel meant that the rider perched high above the street in order to both ride and control the bicycle.

North Americans may not be aware that the bike's name came from two low value historical British coins: the Penny, a large heavy round coin (also known as a copper), and a Farthing (worth ¼ of a Penny), a much smaller and lighter round coin. The silhouette of the Penny Farthing bicycle has come to represent the whimsical ambience and adventurous, playful spirit of the late Victorian period and turn of the century.

From their website found HERE

15 comments:

Petra C said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my photo-blog. It´s fun to find other 365-participants and get inspiration for one's own theme-photos.
I think your pictures are wonderful.

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Hi this is Ron just Darting in, Couldn't be a "Pub" without a dartboard but don;t kid your self Canada has a two times World Darts Champ and the number of players in America has grown to be 10's of millions in recent years and they are becoming more competitive each year. But back to the photo that you had the "Brass" to post as metallic when it is mostly bricks and mortar.
Well done beautiful shot. Fooled ya.

Chesney said...

Love the character of the pub! Just a cool image all together!

Esther said...

It looks so inviting with the bench in front. Soft blues to calm you with an ale in hand. I like your use of the vignette because takes away the extraneous stuff in the corners.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful photo! The angle is just perfect. You really captured it's old world charm! Great job!

Kathy said...

Oh, I know what I wanted to ask you....are you using Photoshop to edit your photos? I use Microsoft Picture It and love how you fade in from the edges. Could you tell me how you did that please? I love the effect! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous find! Great shots too. Good colors and compositions. Very inviting scene. Nice to include the history too.

Anonymous said...

Really nice colors on these images Donna and as others have said, the vignetting is quite nice.

Anonymous said...

That does look to be a good spot to drop in for a pint. (I used to visit a pub with the same name in California...)

jo said...

Both photos are beautiful. And I agree that the vignetting helps it along.

mljrbg said...

I want to go there!! Beautiful photographs with alot of detail.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I like your photo its beautiful.
Last year I was in England for a while and it was a very nice time in many ways. I also want to visit this pub it looks great!

Look in at http://lissento.blogg.se/foto/.
Ther can you find som 365 photos

Debbie said...

I like the picture with all the flowers. The point of view is great. I'd have a brew there!

Anonymous said...

Love the colors and your perspective and all the tiny details you've captured! I didn't realize until Julie mentioned it, but I put a penny farthing (althought I didn't know the name until now..so thanks) up on my blog for today!

Edmund said...

Hi this Ed just darting around. Great shot. Sound's like a fun place.